Friday, May 30, 2008

Happy Happy Happy

To my Kiki,

Today marks the beginning of your second year with me. Every day I am amazed by you. You have developed into this fiercely independent little monkey and I have to remind myself over and over again to give you your space b/c you are like me in that respect. You don't mind taking my hand when you need my help but otherwise you want to run free. When you fall, my initial reaction is to scoop you up and kiss you but I know that you will work it out for yourself. I watch you and admire your strength and your kindness. You are known as the "little helper" at school. Always willing to help the other kids learn to say a word, always ready to show them through example, and always helping the teachers clean up.

You are already becoming a little chef in the kitchen. I make a point to bake something with you every weekend and you just dig in with both hands. Sometimes it's to help...most of the time it's to sample.

And you are so fearless. You climb and you lunge and you do things that make me lose my breath but you don't know that you shouldn't be doing it so you embrace the challenge. I envy that about you. Sometimes I wish I didn't know better.

I love being your guide, your teacher, and your mama. You have brought me more joy than I ever thought I would know. I know that this is what I was meant to do.

0 comments: