Saturday, April 12, 2008

Crockpot Love 1

From time to time here I think I'm going to post some recipes that make my life a little easier. I know I've got some mamas and some daddies (Hi daddy!) reading this so hopefully this will help you out.

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

First time I ate chicken tortilla soup was in San Diego and I do believe that this one is better. This tortilla soup freezes/reheats well and it's healthy too so I double the recipe every time I cook. It is particularly tasty if you garnish with grated cheddar, avocados, sour cream or a splash of fresh lime juice.**Keep in mind that I eat low salt food but you do not have to**

INGREDIENTS

* 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken (I boil a few breasts and shred them with
forks)
* 1 (15 ounce) can diced no salt tomatoes
* 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 cups water (sometimes I use no water and double up the chicken broth)
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
* 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
* tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Remove bay leaf
3. Crumble tortilla chips and put on top.
4. Thank me when you eat it b/c it is that good.

For more recipes, visit Gayle