Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Presence

I have a ton on my mind lately so I'm going to do what I used to do and that is journal what I need to journal. Private things will go in my handwritten journal which I haven't pulled out in years. Who writes anything anymore anyway? Anyone?

First matter I have issue with is my lack of presence. Practicing presence means that I deliberately focus my awareness on the here and now. "Being fully present is being at peace with What Is. Presence is powerful and people can feel it. They are attracted to it."*
I have a friend that I call when I need a boost and even sometimes when he needs a boost b/c he always lifts me up. Everytime I speak with him, he makes me feel like I am the center of his universe at that moment. I understand that when he leaves, the next person he talks to will feel the same way, but for those moments, I relish in his presence.
I am trying to actually listen when people speak to me. By this I mean that I am trying to be present for what they are saying instead of hurriedly formulating my next sentence to them based on something they said. I have a tendency to pick up key points of a conversation instead of listening to everything. It's like I want someone to hurry up with what they have to say so that I can say what I need to say before I forget it.
I often laugh and joke that I have a monkey mind b/c it runs and jumps and swings 60 ways a minute. Listening is a hard job and being present is even harder but it is a first step.

*Daily Groove

0 comments: