Friday, May 15, 2009

Easy Pesto Rice

I am a sucker for all things pesto. I live for summers full of basil this and that. I mix it with mayo and make tomato sandwiches, I of course make pesto, and I mix it with pasta. This rice satisfied all that is glorious and holy in my basil lovin' soul. It used up my leftover pesto and made a nice sized pot of rice. I served it with crunchy oven baked pork chops and juicy, ripe tomato slices.

Rice With Pesto or Herb Oil (from "How To Cook Everything")
Serves Four

1 tablespoon canola or other neutral oil
1 1/2 cups basmati or other long-grain rice (I used white long grain rice for this)
2 1/4 cups water
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup pesto or 1 cup fresh herb of your choice: chives, parsley, chervil, or cilantro, 1/4 cup canola or other neutral oil, & 1-2 tablespoons water if needed.

Heat the tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is coated with oil. Add the water and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat up a bit and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and turn the heat to medium-low.

After 15 minutes, turn off the heat under the rice, but leave the cover on. Wait 10 minutes, then stir in the pesto or herb oil. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.

**I originally saw this recipe on The Motherload and am reposting it to Gayle's recipe swap.

0 comments: