Friday, November 14, 2008

Food Friday: Caribbean Black Beans with Coconut Curried rice and Mango salsa

This is a recipe that I made up all by myself (said in best Forrest Gump voice). It is my most requested recipe once you taste it. AND once you taste it, you won't forget it.

Caribbean Black Beans from the Moosewood Cooks at Home Book

1 1/2 Chopped onions
3 Garlic cloves, chopped fine
2 T Olive oil
1 T Fresh grated ginger root
1 t Fresh thyme or 1/2 t dried
1/2 t Ground allspice
4 1/2 c Drained cooked black beans (three 16-oz cans)
3/4 c Orange juice
Salt and black pepper to Taste
Saute the onions and garlic until barely soft. Add the spices and saute until very soft. Stir in the beans and orange juice and saute for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Mash a few of the beans with a fork or that back of a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Coconut Rice-from my kitchen

1.5 cups basmati rice (be sure to wash and soak for 30 minutes prior to cooking)
2 cans coconut milk (I use lite)
1/2 stick of cinnamon
4 cloves
Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste (use to taste)

1. Discard water rice was soaking in
2. Saute rice with curry paste until coated
3. Add coconut milk, cinnamon, and cloves and bring to a boil
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes
5. Remove from heat and stir
6. Allow it so sit uncovered about 5 minutes before you serve it
(I topped w/cilantro b/c I had some left over-up to you though)

Mango Salsa from my chicken

1 Ripe mango, peel, pit, dice
1/4 cup Red onion, minced
1 Habanero chile
2 tbsp Lime juice (I just squeeze half a lime)
1 tbsp Fresh cilantro, minced
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
1/4 tsp White pepper
1/4 tsp Salt

1 Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2 Refrigerate for 1 hour.


For more ideas, visit Gayle
--
One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain

2 comments:

Kasey Q

YUM! Maybe you should make this for me as well.
Seriously though, that totally sounds like a a keeper. When I feel like I can actually stand in the kitchen and cook again, I will SOOOO be making this. Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany @ Eat at Home

I really need to try this. It sounds like such a great combo. My husband will love it!